The building was constructed in 1600, but in the fire of 1727 it
suffered severe damage. Originally the tower was covered by an
onion-like dome, however in 1907 a huge wind-storm damaged it. They
repaired it but another even bigger wind-storm completely destroyed the
tower cover. Then the architects gave the tower a bastion-like form and
gave up ...
The Reformed Great Church of Debrecen is one of the most significant
Classicist historic buildings of Hungary. It was designed by Mihály
Péchy, and built between 1805 and 1822. Its north-south nave (with the
organs at its two ends and with the pulpit at its north end) is 38 m
long and 14 m wide; its east-west aisle is 55 m long and 15 m wide. The ...
The marble memorial in front of the
University Reformed Church made by Miklós Melocco and named as “The
white rose of the revolution” commemorates the revolution and the heroes
of 1956. The sculptor is member of the Hungarian Academy of Arts.
Antal Pázmándi’s ceramics recall the
motifs of the history and traditional architecture of Debrecen. Opposite
them is placed the marble commemorative plaque which was unveiled on
the 500th anniversary of the event when Mátyás Hunyadi was elected
Hungarian king on the wall of one of the houses which had since been
demolished. The inscription ...
The building constructed originally in
1531 gave place to the leadership of the city. In 1849 Lajos Kossuth and
his family lived here, this was the office of the Defence Committee and
the Hungarian Holy Crown was kept in the “secret archives”. Today the
Mayor’s Office is located in it. Visiting is limited and is subject to
preliminary notice at ...
The Csanak House standing on the corners
of Piac and Arany János Streets was built in romantic style by József
Csanak who had been a serf in nearby Derecske but became a famous grocer
and sponsor of the cultural life of the city. Among others, the famous
Hungarian novelist, Mór Jókai stayed in this house when visiting
Debrecen. At present, the ...
The Arboretum features the natural flora
of Hungary. Alleys and parks on an area of 8 hectares. The primeval
Nagyerdő Oak forest can be found on 2 hectares. The Greenhouse harbours
the richest collection of succulent plants throughout Central-Eastern
The eclectic-style Financial Palace was
completed in 1912. Earlier, the plot was occupied by the house of György
Komáromi Csipkés, a judge of the city, which hosted the preparatory
negotiations of the Treaty of Szatmár in 1711. The event is commemorated
by a black marble relief in the entry hall of the building. It was also
here that the ...
The first sundial of Debrecen was unveiled on this square on 10 July,
2009—40 days before the 40th Debrecen Flower Carnival, on the 500th
anniversary of Calvin’s birthday. The flower clock is in fact a sundial.
Its axle is a carved prismatic limestone column. The clock-hand is a
long metal rod with metal arches under it referring to the astral ...
Grand Hotel Aranybika is located in the
heart of Debrecen. The present Art Nouveau building was built by the
plans of Alfred Hajos, Hungary's first olimpic champion, in 1915. The
hotel offers 205 rooms (50 of them are air-conditioned), and many more
facilities for those who want to spend their holiday or business stay in
Here lived János Irinyi, chemist,
between 1872 and 1892. He invented the noiseless and non-explosive match
(he mixed phosphorus with lead dioxide instead of potassium chlorate in
the head of the match). He managed to solve the problem after one of
his professors had had an unsuccessful experiment. After a long process
of experiments he patented ...
At 57 Piac Street stands the so-called
Kaszanyitzky House in which the famous glass-man Endre Kaszanyitzky had
his shop from 1852. The house was built at the beginning of the 19th
century with neoclassic sculptures in its staircase. It was rebuilt
several times and therefore it bears the signs of baroque, classicism as
well as eclecticism.
The main square of Debrecen was handed
over to the public on 7 July, 2001. During the past years the square has
become a real community space. The downtown pedestrian zone including
the square is the scene of a number of interesting events such as the
Turkey Days, the greatest gastronomic programme in the summer; the Cívis
Promenade organized over ...
The one-time Hajdú County Hall was built in 1911-12 in secession style.
In its place stood the very first inn, the Fejérló Inn of the city.
During the 1848/49 war of independence Lajos Kossuth visited the
restaurant of the Inn several times. The façade of the County Hall is
decorated with the pyrogranite ornaments manufactured in the Zsolnay ...
The College was established in 1538. With its 600.000 pieces, the
Library of the College is the greatest such collection of the Hungarian
Reformed Church. Among the Bible collection of the College we can find
and read the Holy Script in 250 languages. The Archives currently
contain 2.605 running metres of documents, which introduce the history, ...
The main street of Debrecen had been
lined by commercial houses. The first three-storied houses of the city
were built in the stret called Big Market or Main Market. Apparently
they are characterized by simplicity but their facades have many nice
decorations. Some of them deserve special attention such as, for
instance, the Rickl House at 39-41 ...
The Debrecen School of Music was founded
in 1861 by the Society for the School of Music as well as the members
of the Choir and student orchestra who had been trained by the Reformed
College. They were later joined by chamber musicians and music-lovers
who hosted home concerts who then erected a “palace,” that is a
two-storied building in 1894. In ...
The secessionist Bishop’s Palace can be
seen at 1 Hatvan Street on the corner of Kossuth Square. Back in the
past it was the place of Péter Méliusz Juhász’s episcopal see which was
demolished around 1740 and replaced by an ecclesiastical building. The
front of the palace facing Piac Street has a 40-meter high tower used as
the water-tower of the ...
The predecessor of the early eclectic
building was the English Queen Hotel. During its construction, in 1890,
the late 17th-century one-storied inn was extended with another story.
Today the basement of the building accommodates the Csokonai Restaurant.
The savings bank opposite the Reformed
Small Church operated as early as 1872—and this was the very first
savings bank of the city as well. The current building was completed in
1912—following the fashion of the day—in secessionist style with
decorations of stuccos and sculptures on the front. The reliefs of the
facade facing Piac Street show ...
The former Kis-Orbán Commercial House
was built in 1810. It was converted into a corner house as a result of
the opening of the 1825 Town Hall. Today’s administrative building was
later transformed into a shopping arcade in 1840. The block was
connected to the Town Hall in 1906 via a first storey connecting bridge.
Our institution is one of Hungary’s five
research-elite universities, offering the widest choice of majors in
the country for over 32,000 students. UD's 1500 lecturers of 15
faculties endeavour to live up to the elite university status and to
provide high quality education for those choosing the University of
Debrecen every day. Our goal is to ...